FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS NEWZAPP?
NewzApp is an integrated platform that allows professional and amateur videographers (Contributors) to upload footage or video files (Content) of human-interest or newsworthy events in real time so that media organisations (Consumers), such as TV stations, online publications, and the print media, can view and purchase the Content for broadcast and publication.
The NewzApp platform allows media organisations to preview uploaded Content and, when they find the footage or video files they need, download the broadcast-quality version immediately. Every time your Content is used, you will be notified by an email alert immediately and paid via PayPal within 72 business hours. For ease of viewing, all thumbnail videos are displayed in low-resolution. Actual file downloads are broadcast-quality high-resolution.
HOW WILL THE CONSUMERS FIND MY CONTENT?
When you upload Content, you will need to supply tags such as the event and the location. For example: World Environment Protests. London. NewzApp will automatically watermark and time-stamp your content to assist Consumers to search for the Content they need. Consumers search for Content by event and location, so keep your tags clear and precise. The quicker you upload your Content, and the easier it is to find, the more likely you are to earn money from your Content.
HOW SHOULD I CAPTURE MY CONTENT?
Shoot your footage horizontally – this is sometimes called 16:9 or landscape format – and on the highest resolution on your camera or phone. Follow the action, but don’t forget to take a few shots of other things happening around you. Think speed. Upload your content then capture more Content and upload again. Unless the event is unfolding over a long period of time, keep your Content down to 30-60 second files. Four 30-60 second files are better than one four-minute file. Interviews should be under three minutes. Make sure you hold your camera steady and that the content is clear. Click this link for more details on how to Shoot Better Videos.
WHAT CONTENT DOES NEWZAPP WANT?
NewzApp has ten primary categories to make it easy for the news media to locate the video footage they need for broadcast or publication:
- Breaking News – protests, natural disasters, news events, human interest events.
- Business – video annual reports, company announcements, business or corporate.
- Celebrity – candid or interesting footage of your favourite celebrity.
- Dashcam – footage captured from dashcams, including police cruiser dashcams.
- Environment – climate change, spectacular scenery, environmental degradation, wildlife doing amazing or quirky things.
- Lifestyle – captured moments of human activity that evoke an emotional response.
- Politics – captured moments of great political significance. Official visits by world leaders.
- Protests – street marches, animal rights, human rights, political protests, environmental protests, ocean protests, whaling protests.
- Sport – achievements, records, spectacular footage.
- Weather – wild and extreme weather events. Strange, artistic, or spectacular cloud formations.
WHAT CONTENT DOES NEWZAPP NOT WANT?
- Infringes on another person’s or another entity’s copyright;
- Infringes on another person’s or another entity’s privacy;
- Involves breaking the law or could put yourself or other people in harms-way to capture the content; and
- Would be considered “entertainment” and not captured in the context of being news-related footage, which is pornographic, sexual in nature, lewd, socially unacceptable, violent, racially motivated, and/or depicts physical or mental abuse against another individual, other group, or animal(s).
HOW DO I UPLOAD MY VIDEO FILES TO THE NEWZAPP PLATFORM?
Uploading your files to the NewzApp platform is easy. First register on our website – newzapp.media or click on the NewzApp link on your mobile device.
[INSERT PROCESS IN HERE ONCE IT IS FINALISED. USE THE SAME NUMBERED FORMAT AS BELOW].
HOW DO I UPLOAD MY VIDEO FILES FROM MY MOBILE DEVICE?
If you have already setup a NewzApp account, you:
- Select “Upload file”
- Select the file you want to upload.
- Select “Upload”
That’s it! NewzApp will indicate when your video file is uploaded to the NewzApp platform.
If you are new to NewzApp, don’t panic. You will first have to register for a NewzApp account. Once you have set up your NewzApp account, you will be able to immediately upload your video files by following steps 1-4 above.
WHICH VIDEO FILE FORMATS CAN I UPLOAD TO NEWZAPP?
NewzApp is configured to accept most major video formats, including: AVI (.avi), FLV (.flv), MP4 (.mp4, .m4v), MOV (.mov), MPEG (.mpg), WMV (.wmv). If your video file is not on this list, you can convert your video files to one of these formats with video conversion software or by visiting an online video conversion site such as https://www.files-conversion.com. Please note NewzApp takes no responsibility for the integrity of this site and users use the site entirely at their own risk.
WHAT IS A MEDIA DOMAIN?
A media domain is a physical country. For example, the United States, France, and Australia are each considered media domains by NewzApp. If you sell your video footage exclusively to a TV network in one media domain (I.E. Denmark) it will not be available to any other news organisation in that media domain. Your content will still be available in other media domains around the world. In the event that a news organisation attempts to use a VPN to bypass the media domain exclusive sale, NewzApp will take such action as is viable to protect the exclusive licence of the original news media purchaser.
HOW MUCH WILL I BE PAID FOR MY VIDEO FILES?
NewzApp will pay you 50 percent of the offer price for your video files. Pricing for video footage is US$35 per minute (or part thereof). A video file of up to 60 second in length will be offered for US$35. You will receive US$17.50 for each sale. A video file longer than 60 seconds up to 120 seconds will be offered for US$70. You will receive US$35 for each sale. Your payment is the gross amount you will receive from the sale of your video file via NewzApp. Any payment you receive may be subject to financial transfer fees, currency exchange rates, cross border fees, withdrawal fees, and other statutory fees. These fees are charged by third parties. While NewzApp may be required to collect and process these fees and charges, they are not retained by NewzApp.
WHY DOES NEWZAPP TAKE A FEE?
NewzApp charges a fee to:
- Maintain and constantly improve our technology platform so that you have the tools you need to upload and potentially sell your video files.
- Market the NewzApp platform to thousands of media outlets around the world to potentially sell your video files.
- Provide and pay for the servers on which your video files are stored and the delivery platform to deliver your video files to the media outlets.
- Provide a great customer support experience, answering any questions you have promptly.
WHEN WILL I BE PAID FOR MY VIDEO FILES?
NewzApp endeavours to pay you immediately after your video file has been downloaded by a Consumer. However, in times of heavy use, you may experience a delay in payment of up to 48 business hours after your footage has been purchased via the NewzApp platform.
HOW WILL I BE PAID?
You will be paid via PayPal to the account you used when you registered with NewzApp. Every time a media organisation downloads one of your videos, you will receive a notification of payment from NewzApp and PayPal.
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT?
NEWZAPP CANNOT PAY YOU YOUR COMMISSION FOR ANY OF YOUR VIDEO FILES DOWNLOADED FROM THE NEWZAPP SITE UNLESS YOU HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT. If you already have a PayPal account, you can input your details when you register to use the NewzApp platform. If you don’t have a PayPal account, or if you want to set up a separate PayPal account for your NewzApp sales, you can register for a PayPal account here - https://www.paypal.com
WHERE CAN I FIND NEWZAPP DOCUMENTATION?
Here are the links to the most recent versions of the NewzApp documentation.
- Contributor Agreement
- End User Licence Agreement
- Shoot Better Videos
HOW DO I CONTACT NEWZAPP?
You can email NewzApp at any time at the following email address: [INSERT EMAIL ADDRESS HERE]